Tiger Woods won the 2009 Australian Masters today to take home the crystal ware and don the gold jacket. He managed to make birdies when needed and Greg Chalmers, James Nitties and Jason Dufner couldn’t match him. They join a very long list of golfers.
It was pretty amazing to see the world’s number one golfer stroll Australian fairways once more a real treat to see him wear the gold jacket. A major part of the Australian golf summer for the last 20 years and won by a long list of great golfers from all over the world.
You’ll find the tournament dissected and reported in many places across the Internet and you probably don’t need one more tournament wrap. But what have we learned from the crazy week?
- Melbourne can put on a sporting event, any major event for that matter. I’m over the whole Sydney versus Melbourne rivalry but have to say, the city could hold the British Open without anyone realising it wasn’t in the UK.
- Just because a kebab may cost $7 on Lygon Street doesn’t mean it won’t cost around $10 at the golf.
- Australia has just as many idiots as any other country willing to yell ‘get in the hole!’ to Tiger.
- Australia also has a number of golf fans who are willing to tell them to shut up.
- Tiger at his worst is even par.
- Adam Scott may soon be back to his best. See Australian Open in a few weeks.
- I have no hesitation now in saying it was $3 million well spent by the Victorian government and golf management. The atmosphere around the fully booked out city of Melbourne was extraordinary.