“I almost took it personally last time”
– Ernie Els when asked losing the Presidents Cup so many times.
“We had a great Sunday night. I went to the plane straight from the casino”
– Els on his memories from The Presidents Cup in 1998, the only time the International Team have been victorious.
“I’m still pissed off about that one”
– Els responds to questions about the Rugby World Cup.
“We haven’t even had one team meeting, just lots of hanging out.”
– Matt Kuchar when asked about Fred Couples’ style of captaincy of the USA Team.
“We got a nice letter yesterday from Jack Nicklaus, he was the captain at the time (1998), and reflected on that and was excited for our chances.”
“The greens are exceptionally firm.”
– Adam Scott and every other player from both teams.
I’d forgotten how good Tiger looks in green.
“For me it’s different wearing white pants. Haven’t done this I think since I was about eight.”
– Tiger Woods.
Very much a Superbowl style media centre with player podiums set up all over the place.
“I tried to hit a high, soft driver. But I just hit it too far.”
– Dustin Johnson on playing the short par-4 sixth yesterday.
“Aesthetically it’s amazing, just really well put together. It’s not overly long, but shows that you don’t have to make a long golf course to make a tough one.”
– Hunter Mahan. All American players expressed similar sentiments on Royal Melbourne.
“So, I mean, I appreciate how you’re trying to steer me down that road, it’s pretty cool, but no thank you.”
– Phil Mickelson when one reporter was trying to get more comments on a match-up between Adam Scott and Tiger Woods, and the associated politics of golf.