Appleby wins Greenbrier Classic by shooting 59.
Stuart Appleby just won the PGA Tour Greenbrier Classic. This is totally unexpected for a number of reasons:
- He shot a final round 11-under 59 to win by a shot over Jeff Overton. (See final round highlights below).
- He became only the fifth PGA Tour player to shoot under 60. the other four are Paul Goydos (this year), Al Geiberger, Chip Beck and David Duval. Admittedly, Appleby’s is the first on a par-70 golf course.
- It was his first win since the 2006 Houston Open.
- Appleby is only playing on the PGA Tour this season courtesy of a one-time exemption card, qualifying as career Top 25 money earner.
- Appleby has been slowly coming back into form but no one expected this. He’s previously had one Top-10 finish but missed the cut in 13 of 24 tournaments.
It has just been so long since we’ve seen that sort of confidence in Stuart Appleby. We saw glimpses of it during last year’s Australian Open. In fact, he probably played the better golf all week but had the rough side of the draw. He is the fourth Aussie to win on the PGa Tour this year, joining Jason Day, Adam Scott and Geoff Ogilvy.
It feels like the 90’s all over again! Welcome back Apples!