A few readers have been wondering how the professional golf community have contributed to the Australian Bushfire Appeal. Many contributers donate anonymously but there’s been a concerted effort over the past weeks, particularly involving the big tournaments being held at the moment.
- Craig Parry and Nick O’Hern will donate $200,000 each to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal.
- Laura Davies donated her cheque from the NZ Open.
- Many donation buckets were on course at the weekend’s Women’s Australian Open, all Sunday’s gate takings and $5 for each birdie made were donated. The tournament organising body is matching all player donations.
- The Victorian Golf Association is asking clubs throughout Australia to dedicate their club compettitions for one week during February or March to a special fundraising appeal for bushfire relief.
- Greg Norman is competing in a celebrity tournament tomorrow at The Vines Resort to raise money for bushfire victims. Perth readers get on down to the tournament. Free entry, donations for parking are requested.