Rory McIlroy pulls out of Olympics Games due to Zika virus fears

Olympic Golf is dealt another blow with Rory McIlroy the latest to withdraw from the event.

Rory McIlroy will not be representing Ireland at the Olympic Games in Rio citing health concerns over the Zika virus.

In a statement issued yesterday, 27-year-old McIlroy has said that the risk, albeit low is one he is not willing to take.

“After speaking with those closest to me, I’ve come to realise that my health and my family’s health comes before anything else,” McIlroy said. “Even though the risk of infection from the Zika virus is considered low, it is a risk nonetheless and a risk I am unwilling to take.”

McIlroy is the latest in a string of high-profile golfers who have publicly stated they will not play golf in Rio, the first time golf has been played in the Olympics since 1904.

Earlier this year Adam Scott announced he would not be playing due to scheduling conflicts. Since then other golfers including Marc Leishman, Charl Schwartzel and Louis Oosthuizen have all withdrawn their intent to play primarily because of concerns about the Zika virus.

One thought on “Rory McIlroy pulls out of Olympics Games due to Zika virus fears

  • June 30, 2016 at 04:44
    Permalink

    Although I totally understand the decision of McIlroy, Lowry and others not to compete, it does take the shine off things a bit. An Olympic medal doesn’t currently have the same appeal to top tier golfers as a major I don’t think, but I would guess this will change becoming more like tennis for example. We’ll see over the next few Olympics if golf keeps its place I suppose.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.