It’s not hard to find news on the Open Championship taking place at Turnberry at the moment. I attempt to steer clear of what would normally be considered “golf news” here at Aussie Golfer but you don’t have to be Richard Feynman to know there’s been some crazy things happening in Scotland.
- Poor Open for Aussies: Aussie Golfer highlighted 14 Australian golfers teeing off at The Open this week. Of those 14 only four have made the cut; Mathew Goggin (-2), Stuart Appleby (+3), Robert Allenby (+4) and Daniel Gaunt.
- Is Tom Watson the greatest links golfer ever? No, seriously. Is he? My mate Merce thinks so.
- Tiger misses the cut: Tickets for the Friday at the Australian Masters in November are sold out. In light of Tiger missing the cut at The Open Championship, did the Australian public know something we didn’t or are 20,000 Aussies just looking for a Friday off of work?
- Goggin the Aussie hope: Matthew Goggin appears Australia’s best chance. After a promising start to the year he’s struggled on the PGA Tour lately. Let’s hope the Tasmanian can grind it out ’til Sunday.
- High five for Michael Campbell: The 2005 US Open champ withdrew from his fifth tournament this year. It’s a sorry sight.
- Notable golfers who made the cut: John Daly (E), Tom Watson (-5), Darren Clarke (+2), Kenny Perry (+3). Kenny Perry not only made the cut but made the event this year.
- Notable golfers who missed the cut: Geoff Ogilvy (+13), Greg Norman (+12), Tiger Woods (+5), Adam Scott (+5), Tim Clark (+6).