Great news for Australian golf fans as Jordan Spieth commits to play in a third straight Australian Open.
In a huge coup for the upcoming Australian summer golf, Jordan Spieth has committed to playing a third straight Australian Open to be held at Royal Sydney Golf Cub from November 17.
The 21-year-old from Texas won the Australian Open on his first appearance in 2014 when he played one of the best rounds of golf, in windy conditions to win by a stunning six shots. The victory set Spieth up for a magnificent 2015 including victories at The Masters and US Open.
“I have really enjoyed my previous visits to Australia and I can’t wait to get back in November,'” said Spieth. “I look back at my win in the 2014 Emirates Australian Open with great memories as it helped me build momentum for 2015.
“The Emirates Australian Open seems to grow in stature among the world’s players every year. The field is always strong and Royal Sydney should be a great test.”
Golf Australia chief executive Stephen Pitt welcomed the news.
“Jordan is one of the greatest players in today’s game and has proven to be exceptionally popular with audiences in Australia and around the globe,” said Pitt. “He has been a great champion of the Emirates Australian Open and came within an inch of defending his title in our thrilling finish last year.
“We are really delighted that he is coming back again and think that he will form part of a very formidable line-up for fans at Royal Sydney.”
Pitt also confirmed that The Australian Golf Club would host the championship in 2017, 2019 and 2021. Venues for other years are yet to be finalised. The 2017 event will be played from November 23-26 and in 2018 from November 22-25.
Jason Day has unofficially committed to also playing in the tournament that should see the crowds flock back to Royal Sydney as they did in 2013 when Rory McIlroy pipped Adam Scott on the final hole.