Australian golfer Rebecca Flood expected tomorrow to be the biggest day of her life, when she planned to walk down the aisle with caddie Geoff Artis.
But after some last-minute changes, she’ll instead be teeing up at Melbourne’s Spring Valley Golf Club at the Women’s Victorian Open.
“We organized the wedding before the ALPG (Australian Ladies Professional Golf) schedule was released and we were going off last year’s schedule when we organised and booked everything,” Flood said yesterday.
“Then after the schedule came out, I had a nice long chat with (ALPG CEO) Warren Sevil, and we agreed to push it back. We had all the invites printed and the venue booked in my hometown, Coonabarabran, so we had to get the invitations re-done and find a new venue because they were already booked up for the later date.”
The 23-year-old will take on the some of the nation’s top women’s golfers including Lindsey Wright, Tamie Durdin, Stacey Keating, Kristie Smith, Frances Bondad and Norway’s Marianne Skarpnord for the 54-hole event, which began at nearby Woodlands Golf Club today.
The final 36 holes will be played at Spring Valley alongside the Men’s Victorian Open at the weekend. Artis – who she met at a charity golf day five years ago – will be alongside her, considering he now tours with her full-time.
Wedding aside, Flood said she was looking forward to starting her 2012 campaign after a wrist injury forced her to take nine weeks off late last year.
“The injury was just from a bit of repetitive use which required a lot of physio rather than surgery,” she said. “It nice to be able to spend some time at mum and dad’s and catch up with people as well as spend a bit of time on the couch.”
She returned to the Ladies European Tour’s final two tournaments in India and Dubai and finished in the top 30 for both.
Flood said she was excited about playing alongside the men, which although she said would feel “quite strange, it’s a great idea and good for men’s and women’s golf”.
And while the wedding has been re-scheduled for February 18, it now clashes with the New Zealand Women’s Open. But Flood said that tournament will just have to go on without her.