Darren Clarke, Tim Clark and John Daly front the foreign crew trying to be the first foreigner to win the event since Lee Westwood in 1997. Two years ago, John Senden came from nowhere to pip Geoff Ogilvy at Royal Sydney but after Ogilvy’s form last week, it’s hard to see someone doing the same thing again.
Geoff Ogilvy has now won at home with Adam Scott the most prominent Aussie golfer not to win at home and fielding those questions this week. I’m not sure Scott has enough form and has much as I’d like to see Darren Clarke in contention, it’s going to be tough to fly in, have a few pints and win the tournament.
It’ll be very interesting to see what the answers to these questions will be:
- Will Robert Allenby bounce back from an OK week at Coolum and Marcus Fraser keep up his momentum after a week off?
- Will Pat Welsh do any interviews from the car park?
- Can Tim Clark take it up one more gear to win?
- Can John Daly make a cut in Australia?
- Maybe Danny Lee can do what Aaron Baddeley did a few years back and win as an amateur?
- How drunk will the drunks get on the party hole 17th?
Make no bones about it, it is a great Australian Open field once again. Goggin, Nitties, Pampling, Sim, Goydos and the Greens are all there.
Aussie Golfer picks: Ogilvy, Fraser, Clark and Goggin. Goggin to win this one.
Any picks from you astute Aussie Golfer readers? If only for the “I told ya so” factor?